Friday, 21 April 2017

Running out of steam



I took this photo yesterday just so you can get an idea of how the boardwalk splits up in two directions but meets up again near the end of the walk, and of course I always need to sneak in an Annie photo too :)

I sometimes meet these two dogs and their owner on our walk here. The brown dog knows I usually have a bag of treats in my pocket and she always jumps up at me to get first dibs, her pal the mottled black and white dog is much more reserved and Annie quite likes both of these dogs.

The other day they came hurtling through the dunes chasing a rabbit, I was willing the rabbit to run, run, run and it did. It went under the boardwalk for it's safety and stayed there. What did Annie do? Absolutely nothing :) We were up on the slightly higher level and  I wasn't quick enough to capture a photo of the rabbit but the two dogs were on high alert should it emerge again :(  For once brown dog wasn't interested in my treats and hopefully the rabbit lived to see another day.




Yesterday afternoon I had to wait in for the gas engineer to come and do the annual service of our boiler. It's over twenty years old now and it was fingers crossed that it survived another winter, which it did. The engineer said it is only working at 70% capacity now and if it fails the parts are no longer available. We've turned off the central heating but I find it is still quite cold at nighttime even when it's quite warm during the day. We've owned three houses having upsized when the children were growing up and downsized after they'd flown the nest and we've had to replace the boilers in both of our other homes so it's a bit of a dilemma as what to do about  this one. After much deliberation we've decided for now at least to do an Annie and that's do nothing :)

8 comments:

  1. Our boiler is making some strange noises at the moment. I have some kind of boiler care policy so I hope it will cover whatever is required. Twenty years is good. They don't make them to last any more.
    Always a joy to see photos of Annie. Have a lovely weekend. X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We only get the boiler serviced knowing it would be beyond repair if it failed. It's not on it's last legs yet but I would be very worried if mine was making strange noises! You're right that things aren't made to last anymore.

      You enjoy your weekend too Jules.

      Delete
  2. The boardwalk splitting and joining up again reminds me of a certain small island in the Bahamas. At the end of a footpath are two other paths branching left and right and a sign with pointers saying 'This way' and 'That way' - it doesn't matter which way you go as the paths join up further round so you end up in the same place anyway :)

    I hope the rabbit stayed put until the dogs were gone - at least Annie didn't go after it :) I'm thinking of maybe staying at Manorafon for the August bank holiday so I must remember to take my two for a walk round there, I'm sure they'd like it :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like, that "this way or that way", that's exactly right. It's handy sometimes if you see someone approaching with a dog then you can go the other way.

      I hope the rabbit stayed put too. Funnily enough I saw a rabbit in the dunes yesterday and managed to photograph it. Annie was not bothered about it at all. She loves her walks but is happy to just walk quietly alongside me now, I think her get up and go has got up and gone :)

      Delete
  3. Our daughter's boiler is only 15 yrs old, old enough for boilers I guess. Every time it is serviced, they say it won't last much longer and most of those on the estate have been replaced. But, like yourselves Lil is leaving well alone, when it packs up so be it, but til then she too is going to do an Annie :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do worry about the boiler packing up especially in winter. Our boiler is 21 years old so I suppose it's had a good innings. Like Lil, our neighbours have had theirs replaced so we must be the lucky ones. We'll replace ours when it needs to be done.

      I thought why not compare the boiler to the rabbit, it's running, it's safe and leave well alone :)

      Delete
  4. they keep trying to get us to get our boiler replaced as its mega old...

    ...we are even entitled to a free one (as ours is so inefficient) and just have to pay for the installation (which is still a grand) so we are doing nothing also... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best to let the boilers run their course. Of course they would like us all to purchase new ones :) Wow a grand for installation, yikes!

      Delete