Tuesday, 28 February 2017

Cold, wet and pancakes



I took this photograph this morning while I was down at the harbour. It was cold and raining and I noticed there was snow on the mountains again. It's not the weather for going anywhere  just now so not much to blog about. It was home for a hot chocolate, dry off my coat and trousers and do a bit more of the jigsaw! What an exciting life I lead.

It's pancake day today and I've cheated and bought a couple of packs of ready made ones from the chiller department and had them delivered. I've bought an anytime delivery pass for a whole year, it was an offer emailed to me with £20 off the price. So I think it's great that I can choose my groceries online and have them delivered the following morning if I so wish. In fact for the last couple of weeks I have had the shopping delivered on a Sunday morning.

If it wasn't for having to take Annie for her daily walk, I swear I could easily become a recluse never having to leave the house. Not really, I just wish the weather would improve.

Now the question is, if you are having pancakes today do you like sweet or savoury? I have bought plain ones and I like maple syrup on mine :) Husband being diabetic will have to have some sweetener and a banana on his.

12 comments:

  1. Looking at that photo it seems the weather down there is just as wet and miserable as it is up here. There was a brief break this morning when the sky turned blue and the sun came out so I was able to take Aphra for a reasonable walk but it wasn't long before the rain was back.

    I have to confess I didn't realise it was pancake day today. When my mum made them they were always ultra thin and I had them with sugar and lemon juice; my ex used to make good pancakes too but I have to admit that I've never in my whole life made them myself and I wouldn't even know how to :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get fed up with the cold and rain and getting soaked. I had washed my scarf and gloves and put them away but I'll have to get them out again.

      The pancakes I bought were lovely, we really enjoyed them. I always used to make my own but I can recommend those ready made ones, six for a pound seems OK to me. Pancakes are easy to make but I think I have lost the enjoyment of cooking and baking these days.

      Delete
  2. I bought ready made batter as well as some chiller ones too...

    I had mine with golden syrup and banana :)

    Evie prefers ready made crepes that come filled with chocolate.

    She didnt even want to try the ones that I made.

    Tigermouse - the pancake batter recipe is the same as one for Yorkshire Puddings :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it is the same batter as Yorkshire puddings and both are good so long as the fat is red hot before cooking. I have a sensitive smoke alarm and am always setting it off :)

      Those chiller ones are really good and inexpensive. I left mine in the oven longer than it says on the pack so they were really hot.

      It must be disheartening for Evie to refuse the ones you'd made yourself :) Did you let her toss one? Did they have a pancake race at school?

      Delete
  3. I couldn't be bothered making pancakes as I was poorly so I ate half a tub of quality street instead :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You ate half a tub of Quality Street, now why am I not surprised :)

      Delete
    2. that sounds just as fab as pancakes :)

      Delete
  4. Evie has never really liked pancakes, so I wasnt surprised that she wouldnt eat them :)

    She had PE on Tuesday but she says that she didnt do a pancake race.

    She also says that she didnt taste her one at school becasuer she didnt have a spoon! I think that she didnt really want any of it anyway so didnt ask for a spoon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have never liked savoury pancakes. They are not every ones cup of tea.

      Husband and I were taking about races at school and couldn't remember doing a pancake race but we remember school sports days and the egg and spoon race. Not forgetting the three legged race and falling over :)

      Delete
  5. Wonderful photo Eileen, pretty please could I use it for a painting at some time?

    ReplyDelete